Saturday, November 27, 2010

What The Heck Is That?

On Monday, November 8, 2010, I'm taking a bubble bath, as I do every single night (it's my relaxation/meditation time)  As I'm bathing I feel something hard in my left breast.  The lump is probably about the size of a large almond, but feels like a football to me.  This is where your heart does a little skip and ends up in your toes.  As many of you know, I have a strong family history of breast cancer, so I take this very seriously.  I have never had a breast lump before and it's not tender, so I tell myself it's a cyst and I watch it for a couple of days, hoping it will decrease in size or simply disappear..... this is called "denial".  Wednesday comes and it's still there in all it's glory.  I've never prayed something away so hard in my life.  I decide I better mention it to Bryan and have it looked at by my doctor.  I make a doctor's appointment for the following Wednesday.  On my drive home from work Friday afternoon (11-12-10) I have an itch under my arm and when I reach to scratch it, I find a large lump (walnut sized) under my left arm.  After I almost wreck the car, I go straight home to inform Bryan, which is one of the hardest things I've ever done.  I don't want to panic him but I am now officially scared.

I move my appointment to first thing Monday morning and am referred to the Breast Center for a special mammogram and ultrasound.  My appointment at the Breast Center isn't until the day before Thanksgiving (11-24-10).  Good grief, could we move a little quicker, and in the mean-time my anxiety is growing.

Okay, here is where I cut-to-the-chase..... after my mammogram and ultrasound, the doctor prepares Bryan and I for the worst.  He thinks it's cancer (well that's just great) but won't know for certain until a biopsy is done, which is scheduled for 11-30-10.....  Oh boy, more waiting.  That's where it all stands today..... a couple more days and we will have some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment